Monday, August 22, 2011

Fresh in Your Face

I have a new pet peeve. The other day I was discussing food with a certain someone who has been complaining about their weight. I asked about her diet, and she told me that she didn't eat that poorly, and started to list her average daily diet. It was entirely processed, mostly meat/dairy and carbs. When I pointed this out, (gently... I am not a TOTAL jerk) she responded by saying that she doesn't have the time to prepare vegetables, and healthy food... the thing that amazed me is that this seems to be a really common response to the "eat healthier" dilemma. So, let me be the magical food wizard that lets you in on (apparently) the best kept secret in the land of healthy eats...

THE VAST MAJORITY OF FRUITS AND VEGETABLES CAN BE EATEN RAW!! That's right, friends. That means they require no preparation. None. At All. (unless you consider chewing a preparation.) And even the ones that do require prep take little to no time at all. For example...

If there is a Trader Joe's near you, and you know I preach the gospel of Joe, they have great quality frozen seafood for amazing prices. 1.5 lbs of wild caught tuna steak (pieces) for $3.17, yes, please, and thank you very much.

I rinsed them, patted them dry, did a quick marinade in a dash of teriyaki sauce, ginger, lime zest, thyme, and cayenne, then pan seared. Served with steamed green beans and fresh Kumato, with a drizzle of sesame ginger vinagrette. This entire meal took me less than 20 minutes to prepare, and is delicious, beautiful, and... dare I say it... good for you.

Here are a could of other sites with great recommendations for healthy gourmet and organic eats for folks with a tight budget of the wallet and the clock.

2 comments:

  1. First of all..I love this blog: )
    Second: 90 percent of my food budget goes to fruits and veggies: )
    Third: One time I was at the pool talking to some girls who were very overweight. As I suffer as well, I didnt say much to them. They started talking about being heavy and said they heard there was a "fat gene" and they thought they had it. I said, I understood bc I was heavy but really did eat healthy and did exercise for the most part. They looked at me and asked what I ate. I told them. They laughed and grimaced. They told me they did like McDonalds. I said we all have a weakness. Then they said they also liked KFC, WEndies, SONIC, ANy other fried chicken and one was drooling over Taco bell. I just smiled and said..that they might want to look at giving some of those up then they laughed at the audacity I had to say it may be a reason for weight gain..so I got up...fat gene..indeed! I may not be thin but I try to be healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think people, myself included, sometimes don't realize how poorly they eat until they really start listing it. I kept a food journal once, and it blew my mind, and totally changed the way I eat.

    ReplyDelete