Thursday, August 11, 2011

One Bad Apple

Some of my best moments in the kitchen come when I realize I need to cook something before I lose it. I hate it when things go to waste. Today I noticed that my apples were turning, but I wasn't in the mood for pie, cobbler, or brown betty. I was in the mood for something decidedly savory... what to do?

I had already been contemplating popovers as part of dinner, so it seemed a natural step to add apples to the mix. This is an incredibly simple recipe with a bit of a wow factor that is great as a side with any white meat, or a lovely brunch accompaniment.

Savory Apple Popovers (makes 12)

(For the Batter)
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tbsp sugar (any kind will do, but finer grains work best)
1 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
Dash of salt

(For the Filling)
3 apples (cored, sliced, skin on)
1 cup finely shredded extra sharp cheddar
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice (or mix of ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Dash of salt
Dash of cayenne pepper

Grease a regular muffin tin. Preheat oven to 350. Mix apples, liquids, and spices together in a medium bowl, and set aside. (Add cheese just before baking)

In a separate bowl beat the eggs until just frothy, then add flour and blend until smooth. Incorporate milk, and spices. Batter will be very runny.

Add cheese to apple mixture. Fill each muffin cup loosley to the top with the apple mix. Pour batter over mixture until cup is brimming.

Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, turning pan 180 degrees after 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve asap. They are very puffy and light, and will collapse a bit the longer they sit. My camera phone did not do them justice at all, but I felt compelled to add a picture. (This is my wee one's dinner plate. She LOVED them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment