Sunday, July 10, 2011

Back With a Better Pancake

I started this blog what seems like a lifetime ago. It was a great idea for a minute, and then I started competing with myself, holding myself to unreasonable standards, and in general doing what I do and neurosis-ing myself out of a perfectly good thing.

Well, a year, a meltdown, a new baby, and some much needed hindsight later, I am back with the same mission: Find tasty and easy ways for a busy mommy of two to eat healthier...... buuuut this time I will remember that health is about more than whole foods and a perfect pantry, it is also about doing what you do because you love it, and not just simply because you "should."

Speaking of love, and really poorly written transitions, you know what I love? Pancakes. Fluffy, warm, toasty, buttery, pancakes. I could eat them pretty much all the time. You know what I don't love? Processed white flour, processed white sugar, and leeched "vegetable" oils. I know what you're saying, "but, Melle, i've had whole wheat pancakes, and they usually taste no better than raw dough." And you're right, so, dear reader, I made it my mission to build a better, "better pancake," and I do believe that I succeeded.

Here's what you'll need:

1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup rolled oats (the quick cooking kind)
1/3 cup flax meal
1 tbsp raw sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp olive oil
1 egg
3/4 cup organic whole milk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup dried cranberried (optional)

(Make sure to put the oats in last, or they will absorb too much of the liquid and leave you with a slightly soggy, although still tasty, pancake.)

Ladle out in 1/4 cup portions on to a skillet, or griddle that has been oiled and preheated over medium heat. When bubbles appear, and the edges look slightly firmed, flip your pancakes. (About 3 minutes per side) Re-oil (or spray) between pancakes. Yeilds 6-8.

What you end up with is a fluffy, flavorful, moist and slightly nutty little bit of deliciousness. Spread on some butter (the real deal folks) and some organic maple syrup (trust me, you can taste the difference), and tell your taste buds and your insulin levels that I say, "you are heartily welome."

No comments:

Post a Comment