Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Is There a Hummus Among Us?

In a recent blog post, my friend, and fellow aspiring foodie, Joe referenced this article about things that are cheaper to make for yourself than to buy in the stores. A lot of these things are are common sense. We all know that it is cheaper to make your own bread, for example, but who has the hours to spare? We're all on tight monetary budgets these days, but with a new baby, and a toddler on the lose, I am just as concerned with budgeting my time.

Combine these facts with a natural intellectual curiosity that frequently leads to culinary experimentation, (I wonder if I can make bagels??) and I started looking at my shopping list in a whole new way. Only, instead of asking, "what can I make that I normally buy?" I am asking, "what can I make that I don't normally buy because it is too expensive?" The first thing on the list?? You know it... you love it... it is ubiquitous to dinner parties and mid grade restaurants alike... iiiiiiiiittttttt's HUMMUS!!

Well, strictly speaking, only the first recipe is traditional hummus, the second is technically a white bean dip. The traditional takes minutes to make, and if you have a well stocked kitchen, you'll only be buying the beans. The second is a special occasion bean dip... contradiction of terms? I don't think so. Serve is with schmancy dippables and no one else will either.

Lemon Sage Traditional Hummus

2 cans organic low sodium garbanzo beans
1 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp lemon juice (fresh if you have it)
1/4 cup sesame seeds (or tahini for more traditional flavor)
2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp rubbed sage (or 1 tbsp fresh)
1/4 tsp salt
Dump it all into a food processor, and blend until creamy. It is great with baby carrots.

Whitey White Bean Dip with Spinach

2 cans organic white (great northern) beans
1/3 cup aged white cheddar (cut into small pieces)
3/4 cup white wine (or beer) (heat at a boil for at least 30 sec to cook of alcohol )
3/4 cup chopped spincach (if frozen, thaw and remove excess liquid by squeezing)
2 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp marjoram
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste

Combine, blend, and enjoy! (Might I recommend brown rice chips. You can find them in the gluten free section of your local grocery store.)

1 comment:

  1. applause. I buy hummus all the time. But I'm making my own yogurt now so why can't i make my own hummus....my food processor is shoddy, but i guess i'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete