Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I Made Another Pie (but that's not important)



What is important is that you ask me what I did with the extra crust... well, dear reader, let me tell you, because it was amazing. It was one of those happy bursts of kitchen kizmet that only comes around once in a blue.

Using a super simple all butter pie crust recipe, I rolled out the dough to about 1/8 inch thick and used my one and only heart shaped cookie cutter to make cut outs.

I then place a dollop of Nutella on half of the hearts, and then gently placed another heart atop each one. Make sure you place the Nutella (or filling of your choice, jam, almond paste, or if you are feeling savory, spinach and artichoke dip, or a beef, potato, and cheese mixture...) only in the center of each shape so that you can firmly press and seal the edges closed.

Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, or until golden and flaky.

The Nutella cooked off to a nice fudgy consistency, and combined with the unsweetened pie crust made a buttery, flaky, chocolate and hazelnut pillow of epically sinful proportions, and yet in the tiniest and daintiest of packages.

Oh yeah... I also made an apple, peach, and black velvet apricot pie. (I keep forgetting that I don't own a pie pan.) It was good too, but totally overshadowed by the cookies. Oh. Those. Cookies.

1 comment: