Monday, June 7, 2010

A Brave New World

When it comes to food, I was typical of most Americans. I ate what was there, what was new and hot at the moment, or what the TV told me would be good. I bought into the fads and the fakes, and I fell prey to the ever present energy promising goodies, and the just plain goodies. I never met a cookie I didn't like. I didn't really think at all about what I was eating, to be honest. I just ate. Most of us do. Then I got pregnant, and like a lot of other new moms I know, I became obsessed with my food. Suddenly it was important, because it wasn't about me. Suddenly what I ate mattered because it was vital to the well-being of my little bundle, and that was a great way to begin... but

Once the little one (LO from here on out) was born I backslid a bit, and after she was weaned, well, let's be honest, I started eating like a college kid with a gas card. It was horrible, and it felt horrible, both physically and psychologically. Then one day while fixing lunch for LO, natural peanut butter on whole wheat pitas with sliced strawberries and kiwi, I looked from it to my heated up (but growing cold) frozen meal (one of those 99 cent but supposedly "gourmet" jobbies that you can get in your grocer's freezer) and I thought to my self, "self," I thought, "what the hell are you doing? If you just ate the way that you insist LO eats..." and there it was, plain as it could be, the crux of my problem...

If I could learn to value my health and well-being the way that I value LO's, in what ways could my life change? Would I be able to enjoy food again, the way that LO does? How would it affect other aspects of my life? I have a friend who calls this a "come to Jesus" moment. Now, I am not super religious, but I couldn't possibly come up with a better name for it. I posed this new philosophy "better life through better food" to my Mister (the wonderful and loving husband type fella, but Mister, or MR, for the sake of the blogosphere, and my poor fingers) when he got home, and he was skeptical, but willing. I am the CEO of this operation called "Home," and, where food is concerned at least, he generally follows where I lead. (Take note moms and dads. This is true of most familial households. Hold yourself responsible. If you don't, no one will.)So, I got out my library card, hitched up my big girl pants, and decided to learn a thing or two about food.

Now, I know what you are saying, "What do you mean, 'learn a thing or two about food?' It's just food, it's not that complicated." And you are right, or you should be right, but when was the last time you really thought about food, your feelings about food, or the way it factors in to your day to day... think about it right now, and tell me that's not complicated. Now this blog is not intended to be about the science of food. I may drop in an interesting tidbit, link, or question every now an then... (there no such thing as a "canola")and I certainly encourage you (and everyone you know) to buy the Michael Pollan library, as it is literally life changing, but my main goal is to show you how easy it can be to make the change. Besides, you don't need me to tell you what's right. You already know. If you really feel about the food you purchase (and I say "feel" instead of think, because I believe that intuition is one of the best tools to use in picking out food) you know what you should do.

And here's my last word, because I can hear you once again... I know what I "should" do, but it won't taste good, it will be boring and bland, rabbit food, bird seed, yadda, yadda, yadda... Based on what you have been told your entire life, you are right in making that assumption, but you just made an ass out of me and umption (is that how that saying goes??) I am not afraid of fat. That is to say, I cook with butter, and I am proud of it. Not a ton. I am not moving to Savannah anytime soon, but I don't do this "low fat, no fat, half fat, fake fat" thing. I would rather use the real article, in all regard, not something that just looks like the real article. (I'm big on "real," get used to that) All things in moderation... Just because it tastes good doesn't mean it's bad for you. There, you have it folks. That's my mission statement. I'm making a change, having an adventure, good and easy. Want to come along?

1 comment: