Monday, June 7, 2010

The First Supper

The first recipe-

Most of what I use can be purchased in your local neighborhood grocery store. If I got it somewhere special I will do my best to indicate that in the recipe. When I shop I go for the organic, and unprocessed as much as possible, i probably won't indicate it in every recipe, because if you aren't on that track, I still want you to feel at home here. That is where I am, and not necessarily where you need to be. I do, however, encourage you to use fresh veggies, and real dairy products as much as possible, but don't feel the need to do exactly as I do. Do what works for you, and listen to your gut. If it grumbles in protest at the idea of substituting gluey orange cheese spread for shredded sharp cheddar... I'm no expert, but I'd say it has a point.

The day after I had my realization over LO's lunch, and my conference with the board of directors, (My Mister) I made this. It was super simple, about 30 minutes prep time, then roughly 45 minutes where I could do other things and wait on it to cook, and even LO, who has a temperamental two year old palette, still ate some of everything. It is simple fare, and simply made, but incredibly tasty.

PREP TIME- 30 minutes
COOK TIME- 45 minutes (able to leave it and walk away)
EST. COST- $11.00

OVEN BAKED CHICKEN

1 package(four breasts) organic chicken ($4.98)
1 cup buttermilk (.99)
1 cup bread crumbs (I had these in the cabinet, but they run about $1.50)
1 tsp black pepper crushed
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika

Preheat oven to 375

Pour buttermilk into a bowl

Mix spices and breadcrumbs in a second bowl

Open and wash your chicken. Dip each piece into the buttermilk, and then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.

Place in a lightly oiled (or sprayed) baking pan.

Bake uncovered for 30 min, or until internal temp reached 170 degrees F.


AND!!!!

Sesame Ginger Carrots

1/2 (small) bag baby carrots (Kroger 1.69)
1/2 - 3/4 cup Newman's Own Sesame Ginger Dressing (or another oil based dressing)

Mix together in a small frying pan. Simmer on medium heat until dressing reduces by 1/2 and carrots are slightly tender.)

AND!!!!!!

Baked Asparagus

1 bunch of asparagus ($2-ish)
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Mrs. Dash
Sprinkle of Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425

Clean and trim asparagus. Toss in Olive Oil, Mrs. Dash and Parm. Place in baking pan. (I use a bread pan) Bake COVERED for 30-40 minutes, or until asparagus is bright green and tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment