Monday, June 7, 2010

A Well Stocked Kitchen

Let's talk about a well stocked kitchen. I am relatively new to the cooking arena. The kitchen I have now is the first truly functional one that I have had...well... ever. There have always been room-mates, landlords, or shoddy appliances in the way, not to mention apathy... but now that I have a kitchen I find that I love to cook, and one of the first things that I had to do was to stock my kitchen. I want to attempt to give you, dear reader, a ballpark price for how much each of these meals I've made will cost you, both in time and money, but I will be operating under the assumption that you have a "well stocked" kitchen. Meaning? I am not going to figure the price for every 1/2 tsp of paprika, or cup of milk, or things that the average kitchen has on hand... So, what should the average kitchen have on hand? Well, everyone is different, but these are the things I couldn't do without.

Flour (I use whole wheat mostly, but have White and Bread flour on hand for special projects)
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Salt
Sugar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I use this a lot. All the time actually, so I get the good stuff. It is one of the few oils with an actual flavor to it, so quality matters.)
Butter (that's right. I said it.)
Milk
Buttermilk (you would be surprised how often you find a recipe that calls for buttermilk. From pancakes to fried chicken... it's in there.)
Eggs
Beans (and lentils)
Rice
Pasta
Breadcrumbs
Stock (chicken, beef, or veggie)
Worcestershire Sauce (or "wooshy" as we call it in my house)
Soy Sauce
Typical Condiments (ketchup, mustard, dressings...)
Lemon and Lime juice (or lemons and limes)
Cheeses for cooking (Parm, Cheddar, Mozzarella...)

SPICES

Pepper (black and red)
Garlic
Spice Blends (like Italian Seasoning, Mrs. Dash, Herbs de Provence, Chili Powder ...)
Cumin
Paprika
Onion Powder
(Those seem to be the ones most used, but feel free to branch out with)
Sage
Ginger
Tumeric
Dry Mustard
Cilantro
(and the countless fresh herbs available now at most supermarkets)

If I can manage to keep most of this stuff on hand, then all I really have to do is provide the fresh ingredients, and most of it lasts for a good while after you buy it once. There are MANY varieties of each, from fresh to store brand to home-made / grown. Whatever works for you,just get that kitchen stocked, and get to cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment