Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Reluctant Carnivore

Meat scares me. There, I admitted it, and I feel better. I fret over the done-ness (or not done-ness) of my beef, I am horrified by the prospect of rubber tuna steaks, and the fear of undercooked fowl used to keep me up at night. I know that I am not alone. I'm sure that a great many of you overcook out of fear, after all dry chicken is better than salmonella, right... well, yeah... but live in fear no longer. I have two words that will change your life...

MEAT THERMOMETER.

They range in price from $10 to $150. (I recommend digital, and as cheap as you'd like, but I always encourage you to read the product reviews.) This simple little tool has changed my life. No more the stringy chicken, the roast uneaten, or the poor pathetic mahi meh-hi. It is one of the few things in the kitchen that I could not live without. Some folks are lucky and they have an "eye" for meat. I don't. This helps. It may seem like a "duh" but for me and mine, it was a revelation.

I also recommend a cheat sheet tucked away in a cabinet somewhere. Your secret will be safe with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment